Spanish is a popular language. As a result, a lot of people speak Spanish. Though you can learn Spanish on your own from online tutorials, learning Spanish from a teacher has several benefits. First, you will have someone to motivate you. Second, you will know the most efficient way to move forward specific to your skills. Finally, you can learn to speak Spanish by practicing with your teacher. If you are in Kolkata, there are many ways to learn Spanish in Kolkata. Read on to know more about Spanish learning, its certification, and Spanish classes in Kolkata.
Why Learn Spanish?
As mentioned above, Spanish is a popular language; it is the second-most spoken language. Around 572 million people around the world. It will open doors to an entire culture, and you will be able to interact with Spanish speakers, read their books, and know their culture firsthand. Additionally, being bilingual can help you get jobs. According to a New American Economy study, the demand for bilingual workers has become twice.
Leaning makes your brain better; it is similar to a workout. Becoming more social makes your brain more efficient. So learning Spanish can help you do both; you can learn a language and become social with Spanish speakers.
Finally, learning Spanish can make you familiar with other Romance languages. And you can quickly read other languages.
Spanish Language Certification
There are many Spanish language Certifications available:
- DELE: Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport grants this certification. A Spanish public institution named Instituto Cervantes. This certification is suitable if you are a post-secondary student or working professional seeking Visa or Citizenship. It covers all the six levels (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). To pass, you need 60 out of 100 in their exam.
- SIELE: This certification does not cover the C2 level of CEFR. Most prestigious universities in Spain, Mexico, and Argentina designed this language certification. They started giving this certificate in 2016. The test has four language skills graded on a scale from 0 to 250.
- CELU: This certification test is from the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Worship of Argentina. It covers only the B1, B2, and C1 levels of CEFR. Additionally, their grading ranges from “Good” to “Excellent.” Also, this test does not take grammar into account.
- TELC: This test has a much broader scope of recognition. Its issuers are TELC GmbH and the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE). The best thing about TELC is that it doesn’t expire. It has five levels, the standard A1, A2, B1, and B2 levels, and a unique one for scholars. You need at least 60 to pass the exam.
- ECL: The Association of Language Testers in Europe also issues this certificate; it only certifies B1, B2, and C1. They will test your reading, writing, and listening skills. Your score will be between 0 and 100; you need at least 60.
Why Learn Spanish From Curiotory?
There are several benefits to learning languages from Curiotory:
- Curiotory only works with Native Spanish Speakers or Indians with an extraordinary passion for teaching the Spanish language.
- Its Spanish course has multiple units and levels that will mark your progress and motivate you. These levels depend on general, linguistic, and pragmatic competencies.
- They are the fastest-growing online language learning platform in India. You won’t find it hard to find peers learning from Curiotory; you can share experiences with them and study together.
- You can get a customized curriculum suitable for your needs.
- The curriculum also tries to give you insights into Spanish culture and society.
Best Institutes to Learn Spanish in Kolkata
You can find the list of Institutes for doing a Spanish language course in Kolkata below:
76/C, Rai Mohan Bannerjee Road, Near Subhas Pally Park, Bonhooghly Government Colony, Baranagar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700108
Course Duration: 40-420 hours
Fees: INR 8000-1,05,000
Curriculum: Training for A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, and C2 levels of CEFRIt is a dedicated Spanish institute in Kolkata that offers online lessons. The institute has classes every day, including weekends. You can also do employment-oriented Spanish courses in Kolkatta if you want to teach Spanish.
Department of Languages, Asutosh Building, 2nd floor, University of Calcutta, 87/1, College Street, Kolkata-700 073
Course Duration: 1 year ( for PG Diploma and Certification)
Fees: INR 1904 (for PG Diploma) INR 1644 (for Certification)
You can get a PG Diploma or Certification in Spanish at the University of Kolkata. They don’t have an online course; however, they have affordable fees. It is necessary to have a graduation degree to qualify for the Spanish certification course. And this course is required if you want a PG Diploma in Spanish.
238 B, A.J.C Bose Road, 1st Floor, Kolkata-700020
Course Duration: 48 hours
Fees: INR 20,000 (for online mode), INR 30,000 (for classroom mode)
The institute offers courses to train you in all levels of CEFR; however, you must apply for them separately. You can do these courses in online mode or in classroom mode. The curriculum follows the topics required for DELE certification.
9 Victoria Park, GN Block, GN 37/2, Sector V, Bidhannagar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700091
Course Duration: 56 hours (for A1, A2); 66 hours (for B1, B2, C1, C2)
Fees: INR 125000 (for A1, A2); INR 175000 (for B1, B2, C1, C2)
The institute has many courses related to business, writing, computers, languages, etc. You can also learn Spanish here. All their trainers have more than fifteen years of experience. Apart from training, they also offer Projects, Internships, Certification, Placement, E-learning Access, Bootcamps, and Hackathons. However, the entire program is more expensive than other institutes on the list.
Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Golpark, Kolkata
Course Duration: 6 Months
Fees: INR 2213 (for Junior), INR 3134 (For communicative) Here, you can get beginner and advanced certification courses for Spanish learning in Kolkata. It has a modern library with all the necessary books. The classes are usually in-person; however, due to covid, you must attend online courses via google meet.
How difficult is learning Spanish?
If you know English, learning basic Spanish is very easy. However, if you want to master any specific dialects, it will take time. Unlike English, the pronunciation of letters does not change depending on the word; you write the word as you say it. The Spanish grammar is also very straightforward.
How long will it take to be fluent in Spanish?
You can be fluent in Spanish in 8-12 months, provided you dedicate at least an hour to learning Spanish. Additionally, a structured course can make you efficient at speaking to natives. After you learn the basics, you can try and master any of the dialects. There are lots of dialects in Spanish.
Is Self-Study possible for learning Spanish?
There are resources on the Internet for you to learn Spanish on your own. You can watch Spanish youtube videos or songs with subtitles and try to understand the words. You can use online dictionaries to find meanings. However, a structured Spanish learning course would be best to be fluent quickly. It will give your a proper understanding of Spanish grammar, that otherwise will be very difficult or time-consuming to gain. So, yes, you can learn grammar on your own; however, it would be a slow process.
Can I learn Spanish if I am above forty?
Of course, you can learn any language at any age. Yes, learning is more accessible when you are younger. However, with a little bit more effort, you can learn Spanish. Additionally, researchers tell us that if you keep learning, you will keep your brain healthy. To get motivated, you only need a reason to know. And you can find plenty of reasons to learn Spanish.
Is learning languages online practical?
Yes, absolutely. Nowadays, you can learn anything online. There are a plethora of courses that will teach you whatever you want. And languages are no exception. However, you should find a suitable online Spanish course in Kolkata that offers a structured learning plan. Additionally, you need to dedicate a fixed amount of time daily to learn.
Does every Spanish-speaking country have the same Spanish?
No, you will find significant differences between the two Spanish-speaking countries. You will find the most crucial difference when you compare the Spanish in Spain and that of the Latina American countries. The differences in the Spanish language of different Latin American countries are slight. These differences exist because of how the countries interacted with their neighboring ones. For example, French and Portuguese must have influenced the Spanish in Spain. Similarly, the American English must have affected the Spanish in Mexico.
Is speaking necessary to learn Spanish?
To make your language second nature, you need to practice speaking. Our brain is different when speaking and writing. So if you want to interact with a person using Spanish, you must practice speaking.