Sanskrit is quite a popular language, especially if you are an Indian. It is widely present in religious texts, yogic mantras, and Hindu scripts. The evolution of Sanskrit took place from the Proto-Indo-European languages, and although it facilitates learning other languages, only about 25000 people speak Sanskrit all over India. The advantages of learning Sanskrit are more than just religion and yoga, it helps impart positive effects on the child’s brain during the development stage.
Learning Sanskrit is often compared to learning Mathematics because it is a structured language. The grammatical rules are like mathematical formulas, which are derived rather than memorized. The most important factor in learning Sanskrit is how you are taught this language. Most people who learned Sanskrit and didn’t like it probably didn’t get the correct form of teaching. So, if you are interested in learning Sanskrit, look for a good mentor. It would be best if you also looked for a Sanskrit book to read for beginners to have a better understanding.
- A Crash Course to Learn the Devanagari Script: Used for Hindi, Marathi, and Sanskrit Languages (Setubandh Language Series)
Sanskrit uses the Devanagari Script, and you will be taught about mastering the alphabet of Sanskrit. In addition, this book provides an in-depth explanation of the nuances and concepts in Sanskrit, and you will find multiple exercises to practice. This is the best Sanskrit grammar book for beginners.
- Review: – It is very descriptive and easy to understand and follow.
- Purpose: This book is perfect for beginners and can be used as a study supplement.
- Sanskrit Alphabet (Devanagari) Study Book Volume 1 Single letter
This series of two books will help you learn how to read, write and talk in Devanagari script. The first book will teach you the alphabet in Sanskrit, and the second will deal with conjunct consonants.
- Review: – This book is very useful for learning how to write Sanskrit using muscle memory and has ample practice exercises.
- Purpose: For beginners and use for practicing writing.
- The Cambridge Introduction to Sanskrit
This book is a very good starting point for learning Sanskrit as it tried and tested modern tools for self-study of Sanskrit. It is one of the best books to learn Sanskrit for beginners. You don’t have to know any ancient languages earlier; there is no prerequisite. It provides in-depth grammar knowledge to teach you the Sanskrit systems and structures.
- Review: – Great book with ample online resources.
- Purpose: It’s a book for all levels, and it is very comprehensive.
- Complete Sanskrit Beginner to Intermediate Course: Learn to read, write, speak, and understand a new language (Teach Yourself)
This book is very helpful for beginners as it deals with Sanskrit. This book will take you to an intermediate level as it deals with real-world situations. There are so many activities, resources, and readings that you can solve, which will enhance your knowledge. It is a wholesome Sanskrit book for beginners.
- Review: – It’s good for self-study and teaches how to pronounce the alphabet efficiently.
- Purpose: For beginners and intermediate, the purpose is to teach you grammar, and vocabulary, and you will be able to translate ancient religious Indian texts and inscriptions.
- Sanskrit for Beginners, Part I
This book is written in a systematic methodology that covers the basic alphabet in Sanskrit, grammar with details about voices, tenses, cases, count and genders, etc. Therefore, if you solve the exercises present diligently, you will properly understand Sanskrit.
- Reviews: – It’s a good book that focusses on step-by-step learning.
- Purpose: For beginners and it will teach you grammar efficiently.
- A Sanskrit Grammar for Students
If you want to master a language, you will need to master its grammar first, making it a very important aspect of language learning. This book will help you simplify the complexity of Classical Sanskrit’s euphonic combinations, also known as “Sandhi.” In addition, this book provides details about conjugation, declension, compounds, and the like.
- Review: – Easy to understand, going from simple to complex grammar.
- Purpose: Perfect for students who are beginners or intermediate.
- A Higher Sanskrit Grammar: For the Use of School and College Students
This book will teach you the concepts of syntax, conjugation, prosodies, declensions, Taddhita and Sandhi, and the like. It is a complete grammar book of Sanskrit that will help you in mastering an important part of Sanskrit.
- Review: – It is a bit hard to understand, but the explanation is very good.
- Purpose: For intermediates, the purpose is to help you understand Sanskrit grammar like Sandhi, declensions, compounds, conjugation of verbs, etc.
- Introduction to Sanskrit: Part One
This book is based on classical Sanskrit and Vedic Sanskrit. It is a step-by-step introduction to Sanskrit, and readings and exercises accompany each lesson. It is a self-teaching guide that will teach you the basic rules of the alphabet, grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation skills through various exercises.
- Review: – You will be able to learn Sanskrit easily from this.
- Purpose: For Beginners, it acts as a good curriculum-based book for school students.
- Devavanipravesika: An Introduction to the Sanskrit Language
It is one of the simple Sanskrit books for beginners, which is structured and written similarly as is used in literature rather than the Sanskrit grammarians. It has 22 chapters that deal with Sanskrit quotations, verses, and readings.
- Review: – It is a little fast-paced but a great book to learn Sanskrit from.
- Purpose: For beginners and the purpose is to provide comprehensive knowledge of Sanskrit grammar.
- Sanskrit Manual
This book can be used as a reference guide for the grammar and phonology of Classical Sanskrit. Even if you are new to Sanskrit, you can easily understand the book as it has many Romanised transliterations.
- Review: – It’s a great reference book and has a tabular representation for quicker understanding.
- Purpose: For beginners and intermediate, the purpose is a quick guide to Sanskrit grammar.
- Kathaaguccha: Simple stories in Sanskrit
The word kathaguccha means a collection of stories. So, in simple terms, this is a Sanskrit storybook for beginners. However, reading a Sanskrit storybook is a good idea if you want to improve your knowledge.
- Review: – It consists of simple short stories that the users found entertaining and easy to learn.
- Purpose: For beginners and the purpose is an initial guide to the Sanskrit language.
- Enjoyable Sanskrit Grammar
This book is based on the book Sanskrit Grammar for Vedanta Students. You can easily read commentaries and slokas on Bhagavad Gita when you are done with it. It is written so that it will help you understand the concepts rather than acting as an academic book.
- Review: – This book is easy to use and a good learning companion.
- Purpose: It is ideal for beginners and has Panini’s Grammar system, which combines traditional teachings with modern explanations.
The books mentioned above are the top 12 Sanskrit learning books for beginners. You will have difficulty learning Sanskrit, even if you are an Indian or non-Indian, but proper guidance and a good reference book will help you. Moreover, these books will help you in Sanskrit certification exams, and you will be able to pass easily. All in all, you will be able to learn Sanskrit efficiently with the help of these books.