Wondering where to find the best apps to learn Japanese and kick-start your dream career in Japan? Or are you too eager to hop around Tokyo, just like your favorite characters from Studio Ghibli? Let us help you take the very first step to select the most useful apps to learn Japanese, that too, without having invested a penny. Squeeze a few minutes out of your busy schedule daily, and master the tongue without spending long and boring classroom hours.
Before that, some words for Curiotory. Curiotory has an integrated and holistic approach to language learning, paving the way towards a globalized community. The professional native and bilingual teachers of Curiotory not only help you speak fluently but also to read, write, and comprehend the European, Asian, and Indian sign languages. Read on to discover the best free apps to learn Japanese conveniently, which can be accessed with just a few clicks on your smartphones and laptops.
15 Best Apps to Learn Japanese in 2022
Digitize your learning experience with these 15 best apps to learn Japanese in 2022:
- Duolingo: One of the best free apps to learn Japanese that provides elementary knowledge to beginners. Along with Japanese, a hundred more Asian and European language courses are available on Duolingo.
- Beginners can pick up useful phrases and expand their vocabulary with the help of Duolingo.
- Kids get easily engaged with the quirky owl mascot and fun-filled educational games.
- Multiple languages can be learned on Duolingo, simultaneously, that too for free.
- Users will not get a chance to work on Japanese grammar.
- It is best suited for beginners and not for learners at the advanced level.
- It cannot be relied upon solely for mastering the language.
- Lingodeer: One of the best language apps, Lingodeer originally offered Asian language courses only and later extended to include European lingos as well. Today Lingodeer is one of the leading apps that offer Japanese language learning courses.
- Unlike Duolingo, this app focuses on strengthening Japanese grammar along with vocab and conversational skills.
- This all-rounder app is easy to access and has attractive features to ensure fun learning.
- The lessons on this app can be downloaded and accessed without internet connectivity.
- The vocabulary and practical phrases are not represented with proper examples.
- Users cannot attain fluency due to its formalized lessons and a lack of engaging activities.
- The app does not offer many language courses.
- Kanji Recognizer: A game-changer in language learning available on all android devices, the Kanji recognizer app is one of the best free apps to learn Japanese without having to invest long hours.
- The application helps learners to develop listening and reading skills in Japanese.
- The users can customize their learning as per their needs.
- Kanji Recognizer enables users to practice writing and perfect their language learning.
- However, the platform lags in providing an overall knowledge of the language.
- The app is best suited for people having an elementary knowledge of Japanese.
- The features that the application has to offer can be improved for a better user experience.
- HiNative: Evident from the app name, HiNative connects its users with native and bilingual language experts to make learning interactive and efficient. Anyone with Android and iOS systems can subscribe to Hinative by paying the least amount for their chosen course.
- The best feature of this application is that learners can ask questions and get answers from native experts.
- The unique feature of one-to-one interaction certifies this as one of the 15 best apps to learn Japanese in 2022.
- The community on HiNative is very active and allows users to get quick responses.
- Japanese grammar cannot be properly learnt using HiNative.
- There are chances for the users’ questions to go unanswered.
- The application should allow greater privacy for its users to carry out conversations with native language speakers.
- Obenkyo: This is another best app to learn Japanese dialects, including hiragana, katakana, and Kanji. Originally engineered for natives to master various dialects of Japanese, it further expanded to include other Asian and European languages.
- Obenkyo has a user-friendly interface making it simple to operate.
- The application has different Japanese Language Proficiency Test levels that help learners prepare for the various popular tests.
- The application makes use of several assessment tools for estimating progress.
- Obenkyo is helpful for people who already have an introductory knowledge of the Japanese language and aspire to get a better grip on the language.
- The user support on the application is poor.
- It is not the best application to develop speaking skills.
- Imiwa: The dictionary app is available on Apple Store and comes with an easy-to-operate system layout with clear instructions for users. Users can make personalized study patterns and enrich their vocabulary with Imiwa.
- The application comes with various levels of Japanese language courses.
- It is a great application to boost Japanese vocabulary.
- Imiwa is also effective for learning the order of strokes in Japanese words.
- However, the users need to be vigilant about the quality of example sentences.
- The application tends to lag often.
- Imiwa does not have an android version.
- Japanese: Yes, the app is as simple and easy to handle as its name. The dictionary app helps users pick up useful words and phrases to develop their conversational and writing skills.
- The app has a storehouse of verb conjugations and vocabularies, which helps the learners master Japanese in no time.
- This dictionary app is not very helpful for beginners.
- Kanjiro Shidan: One of the best apps to learn Japanese is available on all android and iOS devices. Kanjiro Shidan offers various assessment tools for Kanji, along with other lingos.
- Users can practice kana readings of different characters and also write them on screen.
- It is a great app for boosting Japanese vocabulary.
- Kanjiro Shidan is very helpful in improving the learners’ writing and conversational skills.
- Since the interface of the app is completely in Japanese, it is well-suited for advanced-level learners.
- Pimsleur Japanese: The app is another leading language learning platform offering varied language courses. The application focuses on developing the learner’s vocabulary and comprehension skills in the Japanese language.
- Pimsleur Japanese has very short and simple lessons making it very convenient for learners to use.
- The audio format language is the distinguishing feature of the app, which allows the listeners to do activities of recall and response.
- The app puts great emphasis on perfecting Japanese pronunciation.
- The learners cannot attain native or bilingual fluency by using this app.
- The application should improve its grammar explanations.
- Some learners may find the lessons to be slow-paced.
- Human Japanese: The Japanese language is watermarked with its rich and profound culture. Human Japanese upholds this intricate relationship between the language and its culture. The application flashes Japanese cultural insight in between the lessons.
- The learners achieve an all-rounded knowledge of the Japanese language along with its cultural significance.
- The application is compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
- The explanations offered by this application are well-structured and nuanced.
- However, you cannot learn at your own pace while using Human Japanese.
- Learning on this application is slow-paced.
- The free version of this application has limited content.
- HelloTalk: HelloTalk deserves to be on the list of 15 best apps to learn Japanese in 2022. Not only does it establish a one-to-one interaction between native speakers, but the application also encourages linguistic and cultural exchange. What a great way to dissolve all geographical barriers!
- Helps you connect with people interested to learn your language and start being each other’s guide.
- Provides an opportunity to learn in the original dialect.
- The application makes use of great language tools.
- As evident, the application is most preferred by people who already know the basics of Japanese.
- Users may need to pay separately for using some of its features.
- The application should improve the interface for better user-friendliness.
- JA Sensei: The next in the list of 15 best apps to Learn Japanese comes with fun-packed learning features. The application is focused on enhancing Japanese script reading and comprehension along with perfecting the Kanji strokes.
- Learners get situation-based topics to develop their conversational skills.
- Regular quizzes and educational games are featured on JA Sensei.
- The learners are also able to customize their courses.
- The premium version of the application is a little costly.
- The application tends to lag and often crashes while being used without internet connectivity.
- Anki: A gigantic collection of flashcards and decks of verb conjugations are available over the next best app to learn Japanese. The application provides quick and easy examples showing the proper usage of different words in sentences.
- Regular quizzes and other fun learning activities are present.
- Features like Answer Timers and Flip the Question enhance quick association and learning.
- Learners cannot clarify their doubts on this application.
- Learners cannot develop proper conversational skills using the app.
- Tae Kim’s Guide to Learning Japanese: This is one of the best apps to learn Japanese for iPhone users without a second thought. Tae Kim’s Guide to Learning Japanese is the best option if you want to understand the language without memorizing the grammatical rules.
- The extensive collection of vocabulary is arranged on a contextual basis.
- This tool helps in the easy association and acquisition of a foreign tongue.
- Tae Kim’s Guide to Learning Japanese comes absolutely free of cost.
- As the application is not based on fun and engaging activities, it might get a little boring at times to continue with the lessons.
- The application does not have many great features.
- Wanikani: People having a fundamental understanding of hiragana and katakana can go for Wanikani to enrich their Japanese tongue. Wanikani helps its learners to get a strong grip on their Japanese vocabulary and enhance their conversational skills.
- This application is a storehouse of more than 2000 kanji and 6000 words extracted from the Joyo Kanji guide, exemplary for expanding the vocabulary.
- Wanikani makes use of mnemonic devices to make memorization fast and engaging.
- The major drawback of the application is that it does not have any features to develop Japanese grammar.
- The application is not useful for those wanting to improve their writing and conversational skills in Japanese.
- The mnemonics on this application are often difficult to follow and memorize.
It is needless to say that gaining fluency in a foreign language opens doors to new career options. Peep into the serene culture of the ‘Land of Rising Sun’ by learning their language. The apps on this list are the 15 best ones to learn Japanese and overcome the language barrier. You, too, can ace the Japanese Language Proficiency Test with these apps by learning Japanese to secure your dream job in Japan. Learn Japanese with fun-packed activities in the comfort of your couch. You have to take out a suitable time and start learning a new tongue without spending long study hours.